Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) is an initiative to increase the use of virtualization and commercial servers in the Telco Service Providers networks.
The NFV leverages IT technologies, including virtualization, standard servers and open software to radically change the way networks are created and managed.
NFV together with Software Defined Networking (SDN) is rapidly determining radical changes in the telecommunication scenario. Network equipment previously implemented with proprietary closed boxes, contained a bundle of proprietary SW and customized HW provided by a single Telecom Equipment Manufacturer. Adopting NFV, network equipment become Virtualized Network Functions that can be automatically managed and assembled in order to provide Network Services.
The NFV solutions proposed by Italtel leverage on two focal achievements:
• the main products in the Italtel product portfolio are compliant to the ETSI NFV specifications and reference architecture and they are available as VNF (Virtualized Network Functions) according to the ETSI definition
• a NFV Management framework is available for complementing the Italtel VNFs in the implementation of NFV solutions.
The Italtel Neutral VNFM implements the Virtual Network Functions Manager (VNFM) function for the management of Italtel and/or other vendors’ VNFs.
Services Providers expect to achieve consistent operational cost reductions with NFV. The adoption of the NFV concept is just the starting point to introduce in the Service Providers’ networks the benefits that virtualization has brought about in the IT sector.
NFV and SDN raise great expectations on the possibility to:
• achieve a never experienced network flexibility and service agility, adapting the network to different traffic loads thanks to a novel “cloud elasticity” model
• introduce automation in all the lifecycle of network functions, from deployment, installation and commissioning, to the operational phases
• develop new models for improving network resilience.
Thanks to Italtel VNFM a shared pool of resources is rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort.
Italtel VNFM is specifically designed in order to implement the Management and Orchestration functional block for NFV according to the architectural framework according to the ‘European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) specifications.
Italtel VNFM main features are:
Full featured VNFM
ETSI ISG NFV specs compliance
Easy integration with any Virtual Network Function (VNF), NFV Orchestrator (NFVO), Virtualized Infrastructure Manager (VIM)