However, these are also large industrial trucks that, when moving within logistics areas (warehouse and production), transport goods without any operator at the wheel. These vehicles move between people (workers, company employees, technicians) and, therefore, they can potentially become a hazard.
Working in close collaboration with the customer, Italtel has helped increase the safety levels of self-driving trucks that are now being placed on the market complete with embedded safety components.
The implementation of the secure OT solution designed with Italtel includes:
- Robust and reliable wireless link for LGV control
- Segmented truck LAN network for the optimisation of different IT and OT services
- Cyber-securing the LGV truck potentially open to external attacks
By acting on the network infrastructure that is on board these machines, a solution designed specifically for use in an industrial context has been created (easy to integrate, resistant to dust and shocks, of limited size, weight and consumption).
The switch (rugged) on board the truck hosts an agent with Cisco Cyber Vision solution that makes it possible to analyse all the traffic passing to and from the truck and report the presence of abnormal traffic in real time. Therefore, any intrusion attempt is immediately detected and notified to a centralised dashboard, where the user has a summary, at any moment, in real time, of any attempted attack on each truck, enabling quick intervention and with targeted actions.
The dashboard provides a real-time, accurate map of all the IT and OT devices in the truck’s network. The centralised system allows users to collect data from all the agents installed on the switches distributed within the company and report the presence of any form of abnormal traffic. Its use allows for increasing refinement of behaviour assessment.
Safety is completed with secure operator profiling (Network Access Control):
- Authentication of operators connecting to the truck network to ensure their identity
- Malware protection for devices that connect to the truck (technician laptops)
- Navigation control on operator devices through DNS (Domain Name System) analysis